Thursday 23 February 2012

Homemade Marshmallows!!!!!

Holy cow I can't believe I haven't done a post on how to make marshmallows!!  I took pictures when I was making them this summer and I guess I never got around to blogging about it (tornado kind of distracted me I guess).  So here you go....

You will need a candy thermometer and a stand mixer.

Ingredients:
powdered sugar for dusting
2 tablespoons gelatin (equals 2 envelopes)
1/2 cup cold water
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup hot water
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. Line an 8 x 11.5  pan with foil, butter it and then dust it with powdered sugar. Set aside.  (This is important because the marshmallow will never come out of the pan if it is not prepped properly.)

2. In a mixing bowl, soak gelatin and 1/2 cup of cold water. Set aside.

3. Combine granulated sugar and 1 cup of hot water in a large heavy saucepan.

4. Cook and stir over medium heat until dissolved. Bring to soft ball stage (236 -238 degrees).

5.  Slowly add to the gelatin and start mixing.  Mix on high speed until it doubles in size and the bowl is no longer hot.  It is going to take awhile and there is no set length of time.  I have had it take 20 minutes.

6. Add the vanilla extract and beat until incorporated.

7. Pour into the prepared pan.


8. Allow it to stand until it is stiff enough to hold its own shape.  I like to wait a few hours at least.

9. Cut in 1 1/2 inch pieces and roll in powdered sugar.  Don't over crowd them when you store them.  You want the outsides to develop a crusty texture it.


10.  If I want mini marshmallows I prep cookie sheets and pipe the marshmallows in long strips. 

I then cut them up and toss in icing sugar.


Other ideas:

I have piped the marshmallows out into snowman shapes and used melted chocolate to add the eyes, mouth & buttons.

I have also tinted them pink with raspberry juice and then cut them out with a heart cookie cutter.

Instead of vanilla you could use peppermint extract or lemon extract.

If you want to roast them over the campfire double the amount of gelatin.  That will make them firmer and then they won't fall off of the stick when they roast.

I make my marshmallows square because it is easier but if you want round ones you can use a cookie cutter and use the scraps as mini marshmallows.

Don't make these on a really humid day.  It just won't work.

1 comment:

  1. Suzanne, I love the piping and mini marshmallow idea! You crazy food lady :) ♥

    ReplyDelete